Monday, September 14, 2015

Home Sick

Four years ago today, I set out on a journey that would forever change my life.  First, let me take a step back and give some background information about myself.  I graduated from Masspequa High School back in 2007.  In 10th grade I had a Spanish teacher that I still regard as my favorite teacher of all time.  As a senior he brought me and several other students on a week long trip to Costa Rica.  That trip changed my life, ultimately making me realize I wanted to be a Spanish teacher.  Fast forward a few years and I was doing a semester abroad in Leon, Spain.  I lived with a family and was able to enhance my skills in Spanish.  After that 6 month experience, I fell in love with Spain.  Unfortunately I had to come home after my Sophmore year and continue my journey to becoming a Spanish teacher.  I then went on to graduate from Molloy College with a degree in Spanish Education in 2011.  Soon after graduating college, I decided that I did not want to immediately go into teaching here in the United States.  I applied for jobs in Spain and was accepted.  On September 14th, 2011, I left to start my adventure in Burgos, Spain.  For the next two years I lived and worked in Spain and made some great friends. I worked in a school called I.E.S. Comuneros de Castilla, there I had the opportunity to teach 7-12 grade students the English language, as well as culture from the United States.  Throughout those two years, I gained some very important relationships in my life, that still hold up today.  During those two years I celebrated all Spanish cultures, I learned the Spanish language, I ate common Spanish dishes, I listened to Spanish music, most importantly, I became Spanish.  I had a lot of guidance from my co teachers who welcomed me with open arms, as well as the group of 15 native born Spanish guys that I consider to be some of my best friends.  I love every aspect about Spain and the people who were so supportive with me.  As I look back upon those memories that I was able to experience, I often get a sense of emptiness.  The honest truth of it all is that I am a true New Yorker.  New York has been and will always be my home.  I was lucky to be able and get out and see new places and get to experience things that some people might only dream about.  Even knowing that, I also consider Spain my home.  I spent a lot of time in that place, and I was able to meet some really great people.  I was able to enhance my Spanish skills.  I got experience teaching in a school with a totally different education system.  I was lucky.

You may be wondering why or how I could be home sick, when I currently am living in the place that I have always called home, but maybe you could understand knowing all the facts about, in my opinion one of the greatest places on this earth, Spain.


Vocabulary:

Journey- a traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time; trip
Regard- to have or show respect or concern for
Ultimately- last; furthest or farthest; ending a process or series
Fast Forward- To speed up the progression of (a sequence of events)
Enhance- to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnif
Graduating- to pass by degrees; change gradually
Adventure- an exciting or very unusual experience
Opportunity-a good position, chance, or prospect, as for advancement or success
Throughout- in or to every part of; everywhere in
Aspect- part; feature; phase
Guidance- the act or function of guiding; leadership; direction
Sense of- any special capacity for perception, estimation, appreciation, etc
Emptiness- containing nothing; having none of the usual or appropriate contents
Home Sick- sad or depressed from a longing for home or family while away from them for a long time.


Across
6. -to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify
8. -part; feature; phase
9. Sick - sad or depressed from a longing for home or family while away from them for a long time.
10. -an exciting or very unusual experience
12. the act or function of guiding; leadership; direction
13. -to pass by degrees; change gradually
Down
1. -a good position, chance, or prospect, as for advancement or success
2. -last; furthest or farthest; ending a process or series
3. -a traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time; trip
4. -in or to every part of; everywhere in
5. -any special capacity for perception, estimation, appreciation, etc
6. containing nothing; having none of the usual or appropriate contents
7. -to have or show respect or concern for
11. Forward  To speed up the progression of (a sequence of events)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about you and your journey to becoming a Spanish teacher. Your love for Spain and Spanish shines through.

    Good vocabulary section with the crossword puzzle! Your grammar point is missing.

    ReplyDelete